Tuesday 4 May 2010

Reflecting on my designs




These are some of initial screen printing designs, which came from my studies of winter flowers and silhouettes. My first foray into colour was somewhat brighter than it is now , as I have gradually evolved and altered it. The designs themselves don't really line up very well or use the space as well as they do now. This has been a steep learning curve for me, as I last attempted screenprinting back in Year 1, which although achieving a reasonable result at the time it, I was not overly convinced me of the possiblities that I could acheive with this process.

The other day at college when I was laying out my fabrics for a selection process to try and deduce the best line up, I realised that my work has really evolved a great deal and designs which I originally very pleased with have faded into the background almost as other designs have come forward.My colour scheme has become much more harmonious and my placement of the designs has also improved considerably. My screenprinting skills have improved a great deal, even to the point of now being able to manouver the much heavier wooden framed screens, which I had previously found far too cumbersome. I am up to date with my current schedule of work and plan to keep printing for as long as possible to acheive the best results from my designs. After much consideration I decided to call my collection "Fragile Things" as it is based on botanical drawings of plants in winter, which can often be far more fleeting and fragile due to the harsh weather, but can also be more delicate and beautiful at the same time.



1 comment:

  1. You can really see how your work has developed... through all your hard work you have created some beautiful designs well done!

    ReplyDelete